I believe we are on an irreversible trend toward more freedom and democracy — but that could change.

Monday, March 3, 2008

Did Moses smoke weed?

According to Professor Benny Shanon, professor of cognitive psychology at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, psychotropic plants made Moses hear 'voices' at Mt Sinai.

Haaretz: Shanon, former head of the Hebrew University psychology department, said his first experience with ayahuasca was in 1991 when he was invited to a religious ceremony in the northern Amazon in 1991 in Brazil.

"I experienced visions that had spiritual-religious connotations," he says.

Since that time, he has used it hundreds of times, and has published a book about the plant.

Go Moses! You dirty dog, you! I can just see the early Israelites gathering together for a little spiritual smoking ceremony. Hey, you can't quarrel with success - five thousand years of religious, spiritual and literary dominance.

But here is the most "burning" question: How does one enroll into this study. If Dr.
Shanon has tried it hundreds of times, apparently without being busted, I don't think he will be short of volunteers.

Digg this

No comments:

post archive

post tags

новый самиздат

My photo
Silicone Valley, United States
I am a cantankerous man living and working in the Silicon Valley where reading books is an abomination that is virtually unheard of, frowned upon and may be detrimental to one's career. I avoid censure by never conceding that I ever read or owned a book in my life. If anyone accidentally glimpses my scant proficiency in any subject matter, I immediately accredit it to having glanced at DrudgeReport that day.

cantankerous reader bookshelf