I believe we are on an irreversible trend toward more freedom and democracy — but that could change.

Thursday, January 3, 2008

Is Time Itself Running Out?

Scientists have come up with the radical suggestion that the universe's end may come not with a bang but a standstill - that time could be literally running out and could, one day, stop altogether.

The idea that time itself could cease to be in billions of years - and everything will grind to a halt - has been set out by Professor José Senovilla, Marc Mars and Raül Vera of the University of the Basque Country, Bilbao, and University of Salamanca, Spain.

Makes perfect sense to me. We have been looking for "dark energy" for decades without any lack whatsoever. The estimates I have seen speak of dark energy accounting for between 62% and 76% of the total critical energy density.

It is very hard to explain how such massive energy field can be so elusive. What Tom Chivers and Roger Highfield suggest is a plausible theory. It seems to explain the observations we are seeing.

Unlike global warming, where Al Gore seems to be arriving at scientific truth by consensus, rather than by observations, in this case, facts can be checked against what we know.

read more | digg story

Digg this

No comments:

post archive

post tags

новый самиздат

My photo
Silicone Valley, United States
I am a cantankerous man living and working in the Silicon Valley where reading books is an abomination that is virtually unheard of, frowned upon and may be detrimental to one's career. I avoid censure by never conceding that I ever read or owned a book in my life. If anyone accidentally glimpses my scant proficiency in any subject matter, I immediately accredit it to having glanced at DrudgeReport that day.

cantankerous reader bookshelf