I believe we are on an irreversible trend toward more freedom and democracy — but that could change.

Thursday, January 3, 2008

Cracked: Third Reich to Fortune 500: Five Popular Brands the Nazis Gave Us

An excellent reminder of a history not that far removed from today.

That's why I don't keep Bayer in my medicine cabinet or drive a Porsche. Here is a sample:

So how evil were they?

We'll let you be the judge. At the height of the Nazi terror during the 1940s, it was not atypical for a slave worker to build electrical switches for Siemens in the morning and be snuffed out in a Siemens-made gas chamber in the afternoon.

Why else would the Allies destroy four-fifths of the company's factories during the war? Because they were bored? Fuck no. It's because they intended to blitz the marque brand of Nazi Germany back into hell where it belonged.

These days Siemens is being forced to pay due to a series of lawsuits from survivors. So, at least they own up to it, right?

Well, a few years ago, in an act of insensitive fuckery so colossal it could blot out the sun, Siemens tried to trademark the name "Zyklon" with the intent of marketing a series of products under the name. Including gas ovens.

Read for yourself. Mike actually made me laugh out a few times. He is a hoot.

Third Reich to Fortune 500: Five Popular Brands the Nazis Gave Us

Digg this

No comments:

post archive

post tags

новый самиздат

My photo
Silicone Valley, United States
I am a cantankerous man living and working in the Silicon Valley where reading books is an abomination that is virtually unheard of, frowned upon and may be detrimental to one's career. I avoid censure by never conceding that I ever read or owned a book in my life. If anyone accidentally glimpses my scant proficiency in any subject matter, I immediately accredit it to having glanced at DrudgeReport that day.

cantankerous reader bookshelf