I believe we are on an irreversible trend toward more freedom and democracy — but that could change.

Sunday, January 27, 2008

BEIRUT: 7 Dead in electricity rationing protests

I am trembling. Will UN Security Council, UN Human Rights Council, European Union, the Arab League and Organization of the Islamic Conference now demand that Israel supply Hezbollah with electricity and gas like they have insisted they supply Hamas?

Electricity cutoffs in recent months were extended for the first time to Beirut, where more than 1 million Lebanese live. More than 15 years after Lebanon's 1975-90 civil war, the country's power grid still has not been fully restored, and such protests have been common in the past few weeks, mainly in areas where the opposition has strong support.

Lebanon is also embroiled in its worst political crisis since the end of the civil war. Former President Emile Lahoud left office on Nov. 23 without a successor, and parliament has so far failed to elect the army chief to replace him amid bickering between the parliament majority and the opposition.

read more | digg story

Digg this

No comments:

post archive

post tags

новый самиздат

My photo
Silicone Valley, United States
I am a cantankerous man living and working in the Silicon Valley where reading books is an abomination that is virtually unheard of, frowned upon and may be detrimental to one's career. I avoid censure by never conceding that I ever read or owned a book in my life. If anyone accidentally glimpses my scant proficiency in any subject matter, I immediately accredit it to having glanced at DrudgeReport that day.

cantankerous reader bookshelf